Brief Introduction to Shire Car Pool
The Shire Car Pool is new project specifically targeting young people living in Byron Shire who require affordable, safe and flexible transport in order to attend employment and training opportunities. Other people experiencing transport disadvantage are also invited to access the service. The Shire Car Pool Project is funded by the NSW Ministry of Transport
The Shire Car Pool Project operates through a moderated online bulletin board that is password restricted to members. Car Pool club members will be able to post their own messages to seek lifts or to connect with passengers to share car use. Becoming a member of the Car Pool involves the provision of contact details, the presentation of proof of identity, payment of a small annual membership fee and the signing of an agreement about the use of the service.
see Terms of Membership
How the Bulletin Board Works
The Shire Car Pool Club uses a bulletin board for members to communicate with each other about sharing rides.
Car Driver example
A member may want to share the driving and expense with another driver by taking turns. One drives this week and the other drives next week for example.
In this example no money changes hands. They both save by halving the number of trips they each make in their vehicle.
Car Passenger example
A member may not own a vehicle but may be willing to contribute towards the cost of petrol. This can be particularly effective if a driver has several passengers, for example if a group who work normal office hours in the same vicinity or who work or study at the same place travel together.
- Members post messages on the board outlining what they are looking for.
- They leave a contact email address for responses.
- Once members are in contact, they make their own arrangements.
- The club administrator is responsible for the upkeep of the website and for monitoring the bulletin board.
- Members are responsible beyond that point.
- Members should read through the safety tips before posting or responding to a message.
Car Pool Safety Tips
The Shire Car Pool Administrator will ensure that photo identification is produced by all members on joining to verify that people are who they say they are.
Beyond the Shire Car Pool membership requirements of photo ID and a signed membership agreement, your safety is your responsibility.
- Please consider the following precautions before accepting or offering a ride to people you contact on this site.
- If possible arrange to meet the person before the day of your ride. If you have any doubts, don't ride with them.
- Don't tell them where you live, arrange to meet at a neutral spot. Don't give them your phone number.
- Whether you have met them before or not, if you are uncomfortable about getting in the car when they pick you up, don't.
- If you think someone is not a safe driver, find another ride.
- If someone says or does anything inappropriate when you are travelling with them, let the Administrator know. Of course if they behave unlawfully you should report it to the police.
Bulletin Board Terms of Membership... here >>
Mullumbimby and District Neighbourhood Centre,
55 Dalley Street, Mullumbimby.
Open 10am to 4pm, Monday to Thursday.
Telephone 02 6684 1286.